Monday, April 23, 2012

Modding mistakes that made you cry

I got my ring of shields to work. Then I started working on getting all my mods to work right again... and I accidently overwrought my working shield script....|||He he he should have a SVN for your code.
Ya that is annoying at least it should go faster this time.|||Creating backups on each save is also an option, most editors do this.
If you forgot what exactly it was to make it work you really need sleep seiya, just saying.|||lol I have done this myself on occasion and I create multiple backups. The problem is after a few months of not modding trying to decide which instance of the mod folder is the most current "in progress" version. Especially if the date/time stamps on the files have changes due to re-aranging entire potions of your HD :P
I lost at least a weeks worth of work a fewm onths ago because of that.|||Well, fortunately, I use good programming practices and only had to redo my hooked unit.lua file. But all the same.... And yeah, it is already working again.|||oh god i hate it when i do this... ive done it a few times... and i feel like throwing my
computer outa the window...
so now... i make a folder by mod name and number them like soo..
example
test_mod/test_mod 1-1/
test_mod/test_mod 1-2/
this way i keep all versions and i know which was the last i was working on..|||I looked at my OKC mod after letting it sit for six months; realised how poorly coded much of it was. If I come back in another six months time, I'll probably spot even more errors and problems.
It still makes me a sad modder when there's superfluous self:IsDead() checks in entity thread loops.|||Haha, sounds like some of the code I was basing the bouncer entity off of. There is a comment I made in there about "Is this even needed?"|||I remember that line! I worked out what it was for too; I copy-pasta'ed some code from one class to another, and didn't realise that the blueprint name I used changes between classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment