Monday, April 23, 2012

[REQ][FA] Shoot *this* WHILE moving *here*

This guy and I are looking for the same thing, the ability to issue an attack command without canceling a move command (or vice versa). This would allow someone to prioritize a specific target while keeping their units dodging or running away.
Is there any way this can be done in a UI mod?|||Not as a UI mod, no.
UOKC does do this as a Sim mod however.|||This is a feature that Chris Taylor wanted in the game, long before it was released. The idea was, that the paradigm of assigned targets is completely unnecessary and instead you give general attack priorities to enemy targets and your units will behave accordingly, when they come into range of this target.
3 years ago I created several threads about this, but for some reason all of them got deleted (or simply lost in a db accident) ;).|||OOOHHH... That gives me ideas!
I really like that idea.|||BulletMagnet|||I'd still want to be able to manually spec. targets too, so I'll have to have a think about how to do that.
Probably too divergent to include in UOKC though, likely will be a standalone mod.|||Yes, in my imagination, rightclicking an enemy unit while having own units seleced, would issue a direct, manual attacking order.

I think DeadMG said once, that the engine is, in principle, capable of letting a unit have a move order and an attack order at a specific target.|||Spooky|||Spooky|||Yeah, but with categories, you can't prioritize one specific unit.

@BM: true, I haven't thought of the UOKC mod already needing this ;).|||Well crap, sim-side means I'll never be able to use it on GPGnet. :( It would still be good for lan games though...
(I know there's nothing technically prohibiting sim mods on GPGnet, but trying to get people to even download a mod is like herding cats.)|||Spooky

No comments:

Post a Comment