Friday, April 13, 2012

[FA Mod Question] Getting back into Forged Alliance 2011

[:1]Hi!
I haven't played Forged Alliance for perhaps 2 years, and I see that many, many things have changed. I would really like to get some mods going, but of course I want all the latest ones and I want them to be compatible.
I reinstalled the game, I ran GPGnet and it updated SC:FA to version 3599. I see people talking about all sorts of _later_ versions like 3603 and 3604 etc, which is part of the confusion. I wish to run the following
1) Latest version of the game (by community) to get as many new units and as many bug fixes/balance changes, as possible
2) BlackOps (Regular)
3) Global Icon Support
4) 4th Dimension (explosions ONLY)
5) Sorian AI
Optional: perhaps some animation mods, that fix the ways units move.
But which mods allow me to get 1), do I need several mods? The 3603 beta AND some other mod perhaps?
As for 4th dimension, I see that there is the usual
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32531
but now also a thread
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46551
Do I need to download and activate both?
Also, last but not least - are there any other mods which are nowadays considered to be more or less *standard* ? Back in 2009, Sorian AI and BlackOps were fairly standard already but I assume even more mods have made it to the *must-have* list.
I would be grateful for any help!|||4th Dimension has been discontinued. 4DC is Resin's continuation of that project. You only need 4DC if you want 4th Dimension's stuff =p|||3599 is the last patch released by GPG, but 3603 is a beta but not everyone uses it.
*Standard* varies between players, but of course Sorian is just about the most universally used AI and supports most major mods (BlackOps and 4D). BlackOps is and 4th dimension once was standard but less so now.
Not to say this in a negative tone, but if you read more about the two 4th Dimension threads you would learn that the 1st link is the original (and awesome!) 4th Dimension that includes balance changes but also the Unit Cap balancing mod and the 4th Dimension Explosions for sure. 4th Dimension Compatibility (started by Resin_Smoker) removes all balancing changes from the original and is compatible with BlackOps and standard FA. This probably does not include the Explosions mod with it, so download the original.
InstaMenu is another mod used to remove the animation from main menus, and ingame animation fixes one such one is by mangriff, third post here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32531
Welcome!|||That animation fix mod is one I have been looking for!
and the link is broken :evil:
Does anyone have it, or know where to get it elsewhere?|||3603 is a beta patch which I by popular demand turned into a mod and which has over time come to include balance changes. 3604 was created by some folks who disagreed with said balance changes. So they made even more radical changes.
If you intend to use the 3603 mod, note that it is know to break the Sorian AI and no other mods are supported though they may work. It is designed for online play, in cooperation with the new community Ladder found here.|||If you don't give a shizzle about playing against randoms in GPGnet, you could easily apply the actual 3603 beta patch, it gives slight increase in performance, especially lowered loading times. If you want to keep your multiplayer kosher, stay 3599 and keep a copy of that mod around. Of course it's possible to have both installs.
Community Bugfix Patch has version 4, different versions for 3599 and 3603 (though I'm not sure if the dl link is dead... would be good to have extra hosting). With it bombers seem to finally get their darn bombs right, even at first go.|||Achronus|||Hey guys!
Thanks for all your replies! I think I got most of it, I just wanted to know if anyone has the link to the InstaMenu mod (I remember that I had this before, its sooo comfortable to have) and to the Community Bug Fix.
Ok, I will play with 3599 only, as I intend to play Sorian's AI only.|||If you only play Sorian AI, then you can use the actual 3603 beta patch, that is supported. Mods like BlackOps don't support 3603, but there is no incompatibility, it's just about balance. I myself have not ran into any significant problems there (been running 3603 since it came out). You just can't use 3599 FA with LD's mod for 3603 balance.|||AlteMann|||AlteMann|||AlteMann|||normalius|||Indeed, I know I never agreed to have any of my work(BlackOps) distributed by you.
Mike|||OrangeKnight|||Ion|||Will the Finger Of Death, the area reclaim and the resurrection ability be included in the next release ?
Will the new shield abilities be included as enhancement/upgrades to existing shields (one for each faction) ?
Will we see some of Eddy's work in the next release ?
Really waiting for release of 0.8 ! :wink:|||Krapougnak

No comments:

Post a Comment